Monday 17 June 2013

A tale of two valerians.............

There is a profusion of flowering False Valerian (centranthus ruber) at the moment, both in my garden and many others, also some escapees into farm buildings, old walls etc - lovely billowy mounds of pink, darker pinky red and pure white. I love them all, and I think they're beautiful flowers and plants, although some folk class them as weeds.


Not my picture, I found it through Google images, but it shows how beautiful it can be.

NOT to be confused with the herb valerian which is used for medicinal purposes



 
As you can see, quite a different plant altogether. There's lots of info on usage etc on the net for the herb valerian; the centranthus is purely an ornamental plant.
 
Thought I would just post a seasonal reminder, hope you find if useful :)

2 comments:

Vivianne said...

You don't mention that true Valerian flowers have a lovely sweet scent, while the smell of the roots is dire :)

Blue Shed Thinking said...

Actually, I think red valerian can be used as a dye plant. I'll have a rummage through my books if you have a decade or two, but I think the roots give a pinky red shade.