Tuesday 25 September 2007

On being a domestic Goddess.............


On Being a Domestic Goddess

I've washed the dishes, dried the dishes,
Put them all away.
I've tidied up and hoovered,
And kept the dust at bay.
My laundry's done, the ironing too,
With strength that I could muster,
The teatowels, sheets and pillow slips,
I even ironed the duster.
The toilet gleams, the sink as well,
The bath is shiny white;
The bath mat neatened nice and straight
Until it looks just right.
The stairs are clean, there's not a mark
Upon the wooden treads,
I dusted all the corners
When I went and changed the beds.
There's a line of flapping washing
Hanging smartly on the line,
The dog's walked, cat fed, chickens too,
And it's only half past nine.
There's a tray of fresh-baked fairy cakes,
And seven loaves of bread,
Fourteen jars of home made jam,
To keep them all well-fed.
A pot of boiling home-made soup
That bubbles on the Aga,
I don't see why domestic bliss
Should always be a saga.
All my hems are taken up and
All my socks are mended,
All my buttons sewn on tight,
Any less and I'm offended.
Half past three, a cup of tea,
And dinner's on the go.
Potatoes, carrots, peas and kale -
I grow my own, you know.
Family back by half past five,
And happy smiling faces,
Sitting round the table,
In all their rightful places.
Dinner done, more dishes washed,
It's really never ending.
I sit down in my comfy chair
And finish off the mending.
I knit and sew and cook and bake,
I don’t have time for telly;
You'll find me in the kitchenMaking wine and apple jelly.
And later on, a nice hot bath
To ease my aches and pains,
I'll get up in the morning, smile,
And do it all again.
I'm dedicated, strong and calm,
While under such duress,
I'm organised and punctual,
I've never heard of stress.
For I am woman, brave and staunch,
And never could be less;
I live my life for hearth and home -
A true Domestic Goddess.
Ofcourse it's me, as you well know!
But you'll be glad to find
That this Domestic Goddess
Exists purely in my mind!

No comments: