Wednesday 26 November 2008

The novel




As you may have read, I'm taking part in NaNoWriMo - a month-long challenge to produce a novel (first draft type thing) of 50,000 words in the month of November. I am doing quite well, I think, and better than I thought. I had the outline of the story mapped out in my head before I started, which helped enormously - I had a beginning and an end, and all sorts of middle bits. I also have the back of the proverbial envelope/s, scribbled all over, making sense to only me. Turns out this book is an amalgamation of lots of bits that were milling around in my head waiting to be written down. It's a book I would like to read myself, and I'm writing about what I know - so, I've followed all the theories, and have now arrived at 42,084 words this morning, which I'm really pleased about. I even managed to find and insert into the right place the 2,000 odd words I lost in "My Documents" somehow, so it was a bit depressing last night to find my word count down by quite a bit; it's alright now, though, and I'm back on track. If all goes according to plan, I'll work further on it after the end of the month, add illustrations, add in the extras (can't tell you about them yet LOL) and get it ready for publishing. Oh yes, I need a title too...........:)
Whether anyone will actually want to read it I'm not sure, but, all things being equal, I'll have proved to myself that I can do it.




Edited to alter terrible typing..........LOL

2 comments:

Willow said...

Well done you! It takes alot of discipline to write every day .. I've tried, and always seem to get distracted! It's great that you've managed to get all those ideas that were buzzing round in your head, onto paper! Am intrigued about your story!
Willow x

Eileen said...

Awesome! - Good for you!!! I used to write a gardening column for a local paper, my uncle wrote a story about being a protestant child growing up in rural catholic Ireland, and my son writes wonderfully. Years ago I wrote the outline of a short story about "Fencerows" that, when I retire, I'm going to turn into a childrens book and illustrate it - well...it is good to have longterm goals isn't it??? I'm happy for you almost reaching one of yours...can't wait to hear what it is about!!