Friday 17 April 2009

Making scrambled eggs


I've been making scrambled eggs for many years now, and thought I'd share my favourite, foolproof way of achieving a soft, creamy, tasty result.

2 eggs per person
knob of butter
splash of milk
seasoning

Heat milk in a pan, over a medium heat until just on the boil, add butter to melt; meanwhile, beat eggs well, then add to pan, still over a medium heat. Season to taste - I use se salt and gound black pepper. Stir constantly, and when just almost set, remove pan from heat. The eggs will continue cooking as they cool, so removing them before they are quite ready will ensure they don't overcook. Too high a heat, and not enough stirring will result in egg cooking on the bottom of the pan like an omlette - not what you want. Serve on hot buttered toast.

As soon as you have finished serving the eggs, run COLD water into the pan - this immediately stops the eg cooking on to the pan, making for easier cleaning when the time comes.

I learned this milk and butter method from a chef (an ex-army chef) I worked with some 22 year ago, and have used it ever since.

No comments: