Sunday 27 December 2009

Nice start to the post Christmas week!

Had this appear out over the back this morning:

What a nice start to the day, even thought it's chilly and showery now lol Christmas os over , we had a lovely time, very quiet, just the four of us as usual; very relaxed, plenty to eat and drink, with a bit left over for this week, so shouldn't need to go shopping, which is a bonus!
I spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting through my seeds - it always re-enthsues me for the imminent growing season. I'm especially looking forward to getting back out in the garden after enforced absence due to a combination of bad health and wet and cold weather. There are signs of life out there, though - bulbs and buds, new shoots. I'm excited about this year as I have lots of plans (in my head...........) for both the front adn back gardens. The year gone was qutie productive food-wise, but I'm sure I can squeeze quite a bit more in with a bit of thought, so I'm going to go for it. We still have leeks, sprouts, parsnips, Jerusalem artichokes, kale, Swiss chard, parsley, stored squashes.

I recently re-joined the H.D.R.A. (now GArden organic, but I still think of it by its old name), so I spent a happy half hour choosing my seeds from their Heritage Seed Library, so I've still those to come. Having had a really good sort out, I can see what I actually NEED, rather than think I need, so not a lot to buy, but there are a few more unusual things I would like to try and I've found a source of wild asparagus crowns which I've been after for a while, so will get them ordered too. I want to try skirret and cvapers, Good King Henry (again, can't seem to get it going here yet) and some Munchen radishes again, where you eat the pods rather than teh roots - aka rat's tail radish, which I grew a few years back.

I hope everyone enjoyed Christmas, I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things again.:)

2 comments:

aromatic said...

Glad you enjoyed a nice peaceful Christmas and just what the doctor ordered after your recent health problems!! Christmas was not so good here as was expected... and was very glad to see the back of Christmas day! However we have a new year to look forward to and new gardening experiences... and after reading about you sorting seed stuff out, it occurred to me that it would be a good thing for me to to start thinking about.....
The garden was really quite neglected last year due to Mums health and stuff so this year I am hoping (as we all are) for some decent weather and to be able to spend many happy hours in my garden/greenhouse and maybe like you try growing some new things...
So now I would like to wish you and your family a Very Happy and Peaceful New Year!!
Love Jane xxx

MrsL said...

Thankyou Jane :) Sorry your Christmas wasn't great, but like me, you seem to be looking forward to a new year. All best wishes for 2010 from me to you! Happy growing.

MrsL

xx