Thursday 25 March 2010

Foraging in March




Things are definitely stirring out there! Out in the garden, so they should also be about in the wild are the first leaves of Jack-by-the-hedge - one of my favourites; the littlest leaves taste very mildly of garlic; great to add to an early spring salad or in a sandwich with egg or cheese, cream cheese.
The first shiny fresh leaves of the ramsons are on offer too - much stronger in garlicky taste than Jack, so more useful on cooked dishes; sometimes they're too strong for me uncooked! Beautiful lush spring green colour, large generous leaves. Later, the bulbs can be uprooted and sliced into salads and sandwiches. Tri-cornered leek appears even before the ramsons, quite a pronounced galric taste, but not so strong as the ramsons, again. Useful nevertheless. I've pictured these three, all growing in the back garden now.
Other things on offer are the first ender dandelion leaves, and ofcourse the ubiquitous nettle - look out for more posts on nettles soon, one of my soapboxes lol. I've also found hairy bittercress and chickweed.
I think we have the makings of a salad here...........

No comments: