Tuesday 6 April 2010

Homemade Pancetta

Traditional pancetta is made by preserving belly pork with salt, and then drying it for storage; sometimes spiced, sometimes plain. I made my own version of this last week; and am looking forward to trying it out soon.
I cut the belly pork into manageable pieces that would fit into my brining container and into the fridge. The brine was my usual one of 1 pint cold water to 1 oz of salt. Pork into the brine, and into the fridge for 5 -6 days or so. The meat was then removed, adn wrapped in a clean tea towel and put back inot the fridge for 24 hours. At this stage, I slice it for streaky bacon if I need it, otherwise, continue as follows: Slice the meat off the skin, but retain a good proportion of the fat, you don't want it too lean. Dice the meat into cubes and set aside.

Mix up your spices of choice; I used ground nutmeg, smoked paprika and chilli powder. Toss the meat cubes in the mixture until well coated, and spread out on a baking tray.

Open freeze, then pack into bags or containers as required.
I'm looking forward to trying this is pasta sauces, spaghetti, pizzas and soups.
Easy and cheap to do, but big on taste.

No comments: