Wednesday 12 November 2008

Making vinegar

This is my vinegar crock; I bought it several years ago in a local shop, but have never used it - until this afternoon. It was made in France, and is a lovely shade of terracotta earthenware, a really lovely thing, but needs using! When I first saw them they were 44.00, but I got mine reduced in a slae they had on , down to 14.00, so I jumped at the chance then.



I sought out a recipe on the net almost immediately, and it lay inside teh crock until this afternoon, when I really got my act together and got on with it. It's an old Amish recipe, but there is no indication on the bit of paper from which site it came, so I am sadly unable to credit it. Apologies for that, or of someone can tell me where I got it from I'd be grateful!

This is the recipe:

Mix together in a crock: 1 quart strained honey and 8 quarts warm water. Cover with a cloth (cheesecloth,cotton) and allow to stand in a warm place until fermentation ceases. The resulting vinegar is white and of excellent quality. Put in jars and seal (Amish recipe)

So - my crock has this in it now, albeit in half the quantities given; sitting ont eh chest of drawers in the warm kitchen, hopefully fermenting away soon. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out now I've finally got around to doing it........

4 comments:

Libbys Blog said...

vinegar sounds interesting, look forward to hear how it turns out!

I have a giveaway on my blog if your interested.

MrsL said...

I've paid you a visit and left a comment - love the chicken! :)

Heart in the country said...

I'd never considered making my own vinegar as I thought it would be difficult....obviously I was wrong :0) Please let me know how it turns out.

Kx

Bovey Belle said...

I've never seen a vinegar crock for sale anywhere - at least I will know what one looks like now. Let me know how it turns out.