Tuesday 11 November 2008

The Rayburn



This is our Rayburn - thought I'd post a picture as it certainly plays a huge aprt in our lives, most of all mine, I suppose. It was here in teh house when we moved in, and we converted it back from oil to its original solid fuel capacity. We run it on coal mostly (British coal), but are gradually going over to wood we hope, although it might well need banking up overnight with coal to keep the fire in. It does our heating, hot water and all the cooking. Several people gave us less than 6 months with the solid fuel, saying we'd be converting back to oil - here we are 11 years later, still with the solid fuel LOL Teh turquoise paint was my addition to cheer up the kitchen a few years back, but it will soon be the same apple green as the rest of the walls, and there is a white painted wood shelf to go back up when it's done. The black kettle on the stove belonged to my great grandmother - there is a picture of her in a previous post, sitting outside with my granny. She was given the kettle by a woman name dAlice Cooper, but I have no further information on that aspect of it, save that the kettle is well over one hundred years old now, and I use it daily. It weighs a ton when it's full........... but it makes a great cup of tea!
This view is certainly of the heart of our home.

5 comments:

Shropshire Girl said...

Yesterday oil was 45.5 pence per litre, and I believe long term it will be prohibitive for most, so a wise move there I think.
Sandra.x.

Eileen said...

Thanks so much for the explanation - I recognized it at once to similar ones that 2 of my aunts in Ireland have in the main room/kitchen/family room - I can't recall what they called those rooms they spent so much time in - now I must call them to inquire further...when we were younger we heated our entire house in the winter with the wood stove in our living room. When the power goes out, we cook, heat water and warm our toes by it. We only use it once in awhile now -my husband doesn't have a wood cutting partner any more and both boys are on their own now. Happy day....

aromatic said...

Must be wonderful having your own Rayburn. My brother in law and his wife have their own Rayburn and like your it heats the home and provides the hot water and also cooks the meals and with the pulley above the Rayburn drys the washing in the winter months....
I adore your grandmothers kettle, how well made it is to last all of these years!!
Love Jane xxx

Goosey said...

I love rayburns and with oil being such a target for thieves at the moment its a good thing not to have the oil stored and use other forms of fuel.

lilymarlene said...

Oh! I do miss mine.....! We moved house 5 years ago and after 27 years with Rayburns I am lost without it. A gas range is not the same.
NB I love your Rayburn corner and like the fact that your decor is not perfect.....reminds me of my old kitchen.