Monday 3 August 2009

Wooding


With no central heating of any kind here, thoughts are constantly turned to the acquisition of fule, mainly wood. We run a small woodburner in the sitting room, and a solid fuel stove in the kitchen, which is on permanently. At the moment it is coal, but we are hoping to turn it over to wood, or mainly wood this winter. We manage to get given lots of logs and promises of logs for the cutting up and removing - MrL has a chainsaw and all the gear, so he can go equipped. However, you can;t ahve too much wood, and one of my favourite pursuits is wooding up at the small woods behind the house and farm. We only lift broken and fallen wood and branches - there's plenty about, just need taking home, stacking to dry and cutting to size. A very satisfying pursuit, and a lovely chance to have a peaceful couple of hours with the birds and trees, and the possible sighting of deer.

4 comments:

Spirit of Old said...

I used to love collecting wood ... it's far too enjoyable to be classed as a chore! Still miss my woodburner ... :(

Jess said...

Oh you've made me all wistful for my old cottage in the woods, I used to wonder out at dusk after returning from work big basket in hand to collect up twigs for kindling. Was my favourite thing in the world to do ever, a friend even made me a red hooded clock so I could look like little red...

Oh how I miss that cottage and stove.

Simone said...

Sounds like a wonderful simple pleasure.

Linda O said...

What a lovely way to spend a few hours.
Windy xx