Saturday 19 September 2009

Making chorizzo



I made these yesterday, albeit with the original intention of making salami! LOL They are easy to make, and not too expensive for the ingredients. My version is loosely based on the one in the River Cottage Meat Book.

500g of lean pork, minced
150g of back fat, cut small
good sloosh of red wine
lots of ground black pepper
finely chopped garlic to taste
1 1/4 tablespoons of smoked paprika

Mix it all together very well, I use my hands, then fill sausage skins with it. Using ox runners will give bigger chorizzos, but I just used the ordinary sausage skins as that's what I had. I got 4 good sized ones out of that amount, and they're now hanging in the store room with all the wine etc to cure for a few weeks, although you can eat them after a week if you use them in a cooked dish, eg a bean and tomato stew or similar, but I'll hang these until they're cured.
I hope to get back on teh salami making tomorrow or Monday...........

No comments: