Tuesday 2 February 2010

St Brigid's cake



This is my recipe for a cake for Imbolc - it's lovely eaten just warm, just as the icing is set! Fiery ginger to warm you up on a cold day, and marmalade to add a seasonal tang - good for using up the wee bit that will never fit in the jars when you make it!

6oz butter
6oz sugar
3 eggs, beaten
milk to mix
6oz self raising flour
2 generous dessertspoonfuls marmalade
1 heaped tsp ground ginger

Prepare a loaf tin by greasing and flouring. Cream butter and sugar, add in eggs, then flour. Mix in ginger and marmalade; add milk if required, to a soft dropping consistency. Spoon into tin, and into a hottish oven for 30 - 35 minutes or so until risen and golden brown. Turn out and cool on a wire rack. When still just warm, ice as you like - mine is ginger glace icing, with sprinkly bits on top.
Nice with a cup of strong tea. :)

4 comments:

Kath said...

I have the urge to run my finger along that icing!
x

Rowan said...

This looks and sounds just gorgeous! Enjoyed your post on February too - I didn't know that the Anglo Saxons called it cake month - I'm all for that!

Julie said...

I bookmarked this recipe as I knew I'd want to make it.:-)
Its currently happily baking away ( I made an 8" round using 4 eggs and 8oz of everything else - so added another spoon of marmalade just to make sure)

Julie
x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I've got two loaves in the oven right now, and judging from the taste I had of the mix, they're going to be very nice indeed.