Sunday 18 April 2010

Ministry of Food exhibition at the IWM










We had a lovely day out yesterday at the Imperial War Museum; met up with a big group from Creative Living forum to go in and visit this special exhibition.One of the members made a great job of organising it all - all we had to do was to turn up! The exhibition itself was excellent; lots of us were saying "I remember those!" and/or "I've got one of those and still use it!"
There were clips of real film playing, including the "Food Flashes", appropriate music, and you were able to get up really close to the exhibits; it was very well put together I thought.
The book to accompany the exhibition got mixed reviews from our lot.By Jane Fearnley- Whittingstall, we felt it lacked a certain something, and could have been so much more. It's a beautifully produced book with lots of information in, but little of it seemed to be new and fresh; lovely illustrations, and we were disappointed too in the small number of actual recipes. I think, however, that with our interest in the Home Front, maybe it's a case of been there, done that and got the proverbial t-shirt. I'm glad that I borrowed it from the library first.
The speical shop to accompany the event yielded a rather nice mug and some Dig For Victory seeds for me; I want to check if they're authentic WW2 varieties; the tomato is one I haven't heard of before.
All in all, a great day out and I can thoroughly recommend a visit.
In fact, I could have moved in, if I didn't possess and use most of the exhibits myself already lol

No comments: