Thursday 28 April 2011

Apples.........


....... lots of them I hope!
I found a lovely Bramley Seedling apple tree in Morrisons the other night for only £5, so I've just done a quick recce, and think I now must have a full (enough) complement of apple trees, not least for space to plant them!
I now have the Bramley for cooking; A Sussex Duck's Bill (aka Winter Queening) for eating and cooking; Bardsey Island for eating; Devonshire Quarrenden for eating - this is a biennial bearer, but the crop every second year is amazing, will bear this year - the picture above is of some of them the year before last, lovely little apple, but not a good keeper; cider apples are Yarlington Mill, a good local one; Sops in Wine, the most amazing coloured blossom; Slack Ma Girdle, hasn't blossomed or fruited yet.
Crab apples are Wisley, huge fruits; Aldenhamensis, tiny fruits; John downie, one of the most amazing sites when hanging with ripe apples, just lovely.
I put in another apple out the front last year, but can't for the life of me remember what it is lol I'm not a label person............
Roll on apple time :)

1 comment:

Julia said...

I just love apples, too! We have one newer apple tree; we lost a giant beauty of a tree 2 years ago & have struggled to replace her wonderful fruits. Ours is a pink lady, want to plant a gala this year, too...