Wednesday 21 May 2014

ALmond, satsuma and ginger cake

This cake was inspired by a recipe posted up on Facebook by my friend Sue; it used mandarins and no ginger, but I tweaked it slightly so I could use what I had.


It's the first time I've made a flourless cake, and it smells really good; is cooling on the rack for now, will try it with a big cup of tea later :)

200g sugar
6 eggs
250g ground almonds
4 satsumas
ground ginger

Peel the satsumas and put into a saucepan with the peel - remove any pips/stalk ends.  Cover and simmer for about half an hour until soft. Drain, then puree the fruit and skins.  Leave to cool slightly.  Whisk the eggs and sugar together very well, then add in the ginger (to taste) , almonds and pureed fruit. Mix well, turn into a very well prepared tin (this amount made one larger and one smaller loaf tin sized cake) and bake in a hottish oven until golden brown. Turn out gently and cool on wire rack.
 

No comments: