Thursday 29 May 2008

Hard work


"It's hard work, but it's all we've got".


This was relayed to me yesterday by my OH, who heard a report on radio 4 about fuel poverty in the Western Isles; fuel poverty is said to exist when a household spends 10% or more on fuel, whihc seems to be the case for a large number of people in the Western Isles. The above quote is attributed to a man who has gone back to or continued cutting the peats for fuel. Some folks up there never stopped, but it looks likely that more people will have to take up their peat cutters and go out and get it. This is coupled with the plans to build a very large number of wind turbines on Lewis, as I understand it, much against the wishes of those who live there.


I can't find the exact report OH listened to (very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction, give me a link, etc, thanks).


I think the opening quote above will become more frequently heard in theh coming years as things become harder generally for a lot of people. Time to get ready *now*, start preparing as much as possible to make the ride a little less rough for you and yours. Worrying and uncertain times.

No comments: