Sunday 30 November 2008

Winter



O Winter! ruler of th'inverted year,

.....

I love thee, all unlovely as thou seem'st,
And dreaded as thou art! Thou hold'st the sun
A pris'ner in the yet undawning east,
Short'ning his journey between morn and noon,
And hurrying him, impatient of his stay,
Down to the rosy west, but kindly still
Compensating his loss with added hours
Of social converse and instructive ease,
And gath'ring at short notice, in one group
The family dispers'd, and fixing though,
Not less dispers'd by daylight and its cares.
I crown thee king of intimate delights,
Fireside enjoyments, home born happiness,
And all the comforts that the lowly roof
Of undisturb'd retirement, and teh hours
Of long uninterrupted evening, know.



William Cowper, The Task, "The Winter Evening' 1785

I love that piece; my favourite line is "Fireside enjoyments, home born happiness," -
sums it all up for me. I love winter.

No comments: