Wednesday 3 June 2009

Elderflower cordial



This is my tried and tested recipe for Elderflower Cordial which I have used for more years than I care to remember. Easy, economical and a true taste of early summer in a glass. I dont; make a huge amount - usually about 4 pints or so, and freeze some for later in the summer. I tend not to keep it longer than that, as it's s uch a seasonal thing to enjoy. This year's turned out quite pink as I included pink elderflowers from the black elder I have.

2 pints of elderflowers ( lightly pressed down in a measuring jug, as little green stalk as possible)
water
granulated white sugar
lemons

Don't wash the flowers, just give them a good shake to remove any isnects, twigs, etc. Place them in a large pan and cover with water. Simmer for 30 minutes, then strain. Measure the resulting liquid, and return to the pan. For every 1 pint of liquid, add 10 oz of sugar and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Stir well to dissolve the sugar, and cover and leave to get quite cold. Bottle and label. It will keep fine int he fridge for just over a week or so; I freeze some in waxed milk cartons, well rinsed out. If you want to bottle it to keep in glass bottles, these will need to be processed in a not water bath.

For drinking, dilute as fruit squash, or to taste. Serve with lots of ice and a good sprig of garden mint.

No comments: