Thursday 22 October 2009

Kitchen mantlepiece


I like my kitchen mantlepiece; it's original to the house (1947), painted pine, and sits above the Rayburn. I try to keep it as uncluttered as I can; the clothes pulley is above it, so flapping laundry can soon demolish precious things on the way up or down, and it gets very dusty up there due to the stove. You can see the pulley rope on the right, but I did move the dangling washing LOL
On the left are a couple of bits of pewter, a teapot and a sugar basin; these date from around about the turn of the last century, and have maker's marks on the bottom, so I was able to find out a bit about them. I don't use them, I just enjoy their generous shape which is pleasing to my eye; next along, after the ever-present box of matches, is a small pottery rabiit I found in a charity shop - I'm not usually one for things like this, but I took to her straight away and home she came; I got the little cup with legs and shoes just a couple of weeks back, a nice bit of nostalgia for me as I remember when they first came out in the late 1970s; the little clock was bought in a local garden centre a few years back, part of a very traditional Christmas display - it has a pleasingly loud tick that seems to add to the stillness and peace of the house when it's quiet; the postcard is a picture of Hemingford Grey, brought back from a trip by a friend who went to visit the house earlier this year - fans of Lucy Boston will know of it, and I can recommend her book "Memories"; the little spotted orange and cream dish is French, although I picked it up at the tip - it has a small crack in, but I enjoy its cheeriness against the green; the wee kettle is a peice of family history - one of my great uncles was doing some work for someone and dug up a small kettle lid. Thinking it wasn't much use on its own, he threw it aside and thought no more of it until about 10 minutes later when he dug up the kettle itself! I reckon it's quite old, probably a contemporary of my big kettle that belonged to my great grandmother; I use the big one, but this wee one just adorns the shelf as reminder of my very interesting Great Uncle Colin; at the end is a small glass candle pot, very well used over the years - the paint of the decorative daisies is starting to flake now, but I like the shape and design so it's been popped up here for now; it's full of small silver spoons which need more investigation re age, etc, which I will get around to one day.
The cross stitch picture above bears the following legend:

"The things I sow,
Somehow don't grow -
I'm sorely disenchanted;
But oh what luck
I have with stuff
I never even planted"

Ain't that the truth, now? :)

No comments: