Friday 23 October 2009

Early morning, autumn

Early morning is probably my favourite time of day, usually a peaceful and tranquil time, especially now the children are older. I wake at just before 5.30am to the Shipping Forecast. I don't suppose I shall actually ever have real cause to use it, but I enjoy listening all the same - the familiar names, imagining where they are around the island we live on, trying to imagine what it's like for people out on boats in all weathers, espeically the winter. OH gets up and is off to work quite early, then I get up, give Bean a shout and come downstairs; water on for coffee or tea, breakfast if I feel like it. At this time of year, it's still dark outside, with the occasional tractor passing, or a delivery of some kind to the pub over the road. The returning daylight brings more traffic, but not a huge amount. One of the first things I do is to stand at the open bedroom window and look out over the Vale - it gives me a sense of peace and connection, a good way to start my day. This is the sight that greeted me this morning:

The clocks go back this weekend, so the early mornings next week will be a little lighter, and it will get darker earlier in the evenings. I have no thought either way on the clock changing debate - I just go with it. It is, however, time to put up the thicker curtains, the weather has become noticably chilled and damper over the past few days, as it should be in mid autumn. a time of waiting and watching, colours of fire, and preparation for times ahead.

No comments: