Saturday 3 September 2011

County Show

This weekend is the coounty show, aka Dorchester Show; I love it. It's the real thing - all about agriculture, on which a lot of the county's economy is still pinned. Not your usual stuffy pretend to be country stuff with overinflated 'country'clothing stalls, nobs running around with ya ya screechy voices and knocking back champagne in the hospitality tents, the sort of show that people who think they are real country people go to and play at being suchlike - I'm sure you all know what I mean.
This is a good, honest, literally down to earth show over a couple of days with a dedicated showground on the outskirts of the town. Huge humber of classes - cattle, horses, sheep, goats, poultry, pigs, eggs, grains, bees, rabbits,  floral, handicrafts, horticulture.............local food by the truckload to buy and eat there - lots of space for sitting down....... sales of tractors and huge machinery, plants, local crafts , beers and ciders, cheeses and wines. I always see lots of folk I know there, it's great bumping into them in such a place. My favourite is the sheep tents (see post below), but I enjoy all of it. A loveley, calm, thriving atmosphere of friendly and fierce competition,  safe for children and dogs, all in all a hugely enjoyable day out, I always come home having learned something, usually lots! Here's a few photos of things other than sheep lol














No comments: