Tuesday 28 October 2008

Monmouth cap



This is one of the caps I knitted last week, a pattern found in a back issue of Spin Off magazine. I think it comes pretty close to the original, which can be seen here, along with some info on it:

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/small/item/GTJ01788/

I anjoy most knitting, but this was one of the most enjoyable things I've knitted for many a year. I like a pattern with added extras - in this case, the historical aspect, and I was able to do some reading and research on the web which led me off in all sorts of directions, as most of you will know :) I felt a tangible connection to the past whilst knitting it, helped along by watching the film Merlin on TV! The pattern was simple, knitted in the round, and I use two strands of a rather nice English Jacob yarn I picked up for about 20p at the Guil on the sales stable. There is something inherently satisfying about knitting in the round, maybe the repetition, the rhythm of a circle, the continuous loop thing, not sure, but a favourite style of knitting for me. I popped a nice little button on the top so it can be attached to MrL's helment, should he ever feel the need for this facility, and a dinky little loop to hang it up by when he comes indoors; this is one of his Christmas presents. I thought it was so great, I knitted one for myself too.........:) LOL

5 comments:

hen said...

Do you know where I could find a pattern for the hat?

xxx

MrsL said...

There are several patterns on the net, but this is the best one I've seen. I'm more than happy to photocopy it for you, and attempt to send it by e-mail! Can't reproduce it here as it's not my patern, but happy to share. If you e-mail me your e-maila ddress, I'll get that doen for you.

MrsL

hen said...

that would be fantastic!! thanks MrsL!

Jane said...

I too would love a copy of that Monmouth Cap pattern. We do 18th century reenactment and I'm in the process of trying to knit one of these - sounds like you've found the perfect pattern.
Thanks.

MrsL said...

Okey doke, will get on to it later. :)