Wednesday 2 September 2009

September



September is one of my favourite months - well into the start of autumn and all that the season promises; lots to harvest, to process towards preparing for the winter, the winding down of the summer garden, thinking ahead for next year's planting, autumn onion sets, jam making, wines bubbling, thinking towards winter and all the preparations that entails - food, drink, weather proofing, wood and fuel, animal welfare - Christmas to start thinking on, darker evenings, windy days and rainy mornings, hop picking, ripening pumpkins, last of the tomatoes, squishy medlars to pick, even more apples, winter craft projects, reading by the oil lamp, lighting the woodburner.......
Although I like to take each day as it comes, living the sort of self-reliant life I do means I inevitably have to think well ahead and make preparations, do research, get things ready, dig things over, all with an eye to keep the self-reliant wheels well-oiled and working well. Nothing beats good and thorough preparation so that projects go smoothly, therefore avoiding the likelihood of disappointment through waste of time and materials/ingredients.
Spetember holds all this , and more, for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the last quarter of the year. Absolutely my favourite.

Ali

brightandnew said...

I also love the autumn. We have been out for a walk in the woods this afternoon, the trees are starting to turn over to their autumn colours and the wind and rain were blowing through - it was beautiful. This really is the beginning of the best time of the year.

Leanne said...

in agreement too, i also love this time of year, i posted along similiar lines on my blog too, of my love for autumn.

its such a rich time, harvests, and colours and scents...

Leanne x

Yarrow said...

Many of us are posting similar things, as the season and the evenings draw in. It's good to feel secure with our supplies tended to :)

x