Thursday 23 October 2008

Quotes for today


I found these two quotes on Dick Gaughan's site this morning:


"Society highly values its normal man. It educates children to lose themselves and to become absurd, and thus to be normal. Normal men have killed perhaps 100,000,000 of their fellow normal men in the last fifty years."
-- R. D. Laing



"Any damn fool can get complicated; it takes a genius to achieve simplicity."
-- Pete Seeger on Woody Guthrie



I hadn't heard of Dick Gaughan until this morning, so checked out his website:




There's a recording of one of his cocnerts on TV tonight, so I think I'll give it a go. Will report back :)

3 comments:

hen said...

Dick Gaughan is my absolute hero!!!!!!!!! A voice like a tortured angel! If that's not too cheesily melodramatic!

I can whole heartedly recommend Prentice Piece as a starting point if you wanted to buy any of his stuff. It's a kind of best of 2 disc cd.

He is amazing... for these reasons...

1) Fathers Song
2) Both Sides the Tweed
3) Flooer's o' the forest
4) The World Turned Upside Down

These are just my ultimate favourites, I have many favourites of his. My best friend did the sound for him at a venue in Reading and Dicks performance blew his mind! I'd LOVE to see him live, but haven't as yet.

I'll look out for that radio show too!

Thanks for mentioning it!

hen
xx

p.s.
thank you for tagging me! It's going to take me ages to think of anything!!

hen said...

just re-read your post, it's on telly. doom. I don't have telly. Will it be on the BBC? I can watch it on Iplayer then. I'm off to investigate...

MrsL said...

Hi hen!! :)

Always nice to get someone else's recommendation, so will definitely stay up for it. I have a spinning/knitting project to do for Saturday, so that should keep me awake. I think teh Scottish bit was the attraction for me. I'll post up what I think :)

MrsL