Sunday 31 August 2008

New dishcloths

Probably not the most exciting thing to knit, some might say, but I really enjoy knitting them, then using them! They are lovely little portable projects, can be done in a couple of hours, lovely to use, cheer up the kitchen, make washing up more of a pelasure and when done, can be put on the compost heap. Not much more could be asked of knitting, really, could it? The patterns are ones I have done several times, printed off the net and kept in a folder; I usually use bits and bobs from charity shops, boot sales, etc, but for these, I treated myself to some new yarn, caving in completely when I saw these three colours together on the shelves; reminiscent of summer gardens, sweet peas, fresh scents - lovely........



Top is a tulip bud motif cloth, in garter stitch; below is a lovely checky pattern in all three colours again; a simple slip stitch gives the check illusion, like gingham - very pretty.




Top one here is a simple cream snowdrop pattern; requires a bit more concentration, but interesting to knit up; below is a green doily cloth, comprising seven segments, knitted with the short row technique.

5 comments:

Greentwinsmummy said...

sighs....they are GORGEOUS,as you know the one you gave me is proudly on display! I cant bring myself to use it to wash up with :o)

A Green and Rosie Life said...

What type of wool do you use and where do you get it from? I am a newbie to knitting - Barney Bear is very happy with his scarf but I would like to graduate to something more useful and dishcloths seem a perfect choice.

Rosie x

MrsL said...

I usually use pure cotton - washes well in hot temperatures, is good and absorbent, keeps its shape well, lasts for ages, and you can pick up odds and ends of half used/unwanted balls in charity shops, boot sales etc, or buy bits from e-bay. Not sure about where you are, but they will sell it in wool/knitting shops too. I use all sorts of cottons, the ones for knitting cotton tops, etc. Craft cotton in white or unbleahced is OK too, but very inspiring on the colour fornt, and I find it a bit thick; I like my cloths supple!:) When they finally give up the ghost, they can go on the compost heap as they are all natural fibre. This yarn, though was cotton and soya fibre - heart ruled head when I saw the colours, I'm afraid.......

MrsL said...

Favourite site is here:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php

A Green and Rosie Life said...

Thanks for the link and info - will be making dishcloths as a winter project I hope.

Rosie x